Choosing the right nursery
Things to consider
Becoming a parent is one of life’s greatest pleasures but along with the joy comes the worry, not least when choosing childcare. With so many different options available from child minders and pre-schools to day nurseries. Choosing the right childcare provider for your most precious little person can be a daunting task. Below we have listed some of the things to consider when looking round different settings.. There is no shortage of options locally so we hope that the following information might help you to narrow down your choices. This is of course not a definitive list and its important to remember the gut instinct is often right.
Care and learning;
- Is the nursery clean and well decorated with a good selection of quality learning resources?
- How do staff document children’s learning and development and how is this shared with parents?
- Do the other children in the nursery appear happy and engaged in activities?
- Does the childcare provider offer settling in sessions and will you incur additional changes for these?
- Do children have regular access to outdoor learning?
- Does the setting provide meals and if so how is the quality of nutrition monitored. Do they give consideration to salt and sugar content?
- Are any additional learning opportunities provided such as dance, music or forest school?
- Do the children get to go on outings?
- Does the manager appear knowledgeable and able to consistently answer all of your questions?
Legal and technical questions;
- Check that ratios are being adhered to.
- Is the most recent Ofsted report Good or Outstanding?
- Is the insurance certificate displayed?
- What level do qualifications do staff hold?
- Do all staff hold paediatric first aid certificates?
- What levels of staff turnover does the provider have?
It is important to find childcare that you are completely happy with so that you can go back to work happy in the knowledge that your child is well cared for. Don’t settle for something you are not completely happy with. Visit as many times as you need to, turn up unannounced and ask lots of questions.
We wish you lots of luck with your search
Liz and the Little Rascals team
To arrange a visit to one of our nurseries, call 01664 850577.
Alternatively, you can email us via our online form